|Site Map | Contacts | Links | Newsletter ||
In 1844 Konstantin von Tischendorf discovered 43 leaves of a fourth-century Greek manuscript of the Old Testament in a wastebasket in Saint Catherine's Monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai. He returned in 1859 to find another fourth-century Greek manuscript that contained the only complete New Testament in uncial now called Codex Sinaiticus (Aleph). It is now in the British Museum. In 1975 eight more pages of Genesis were found inside one of the monastery's walls. Some scholars think Codex Sinaiticus and Vaticanus were among the 50 copies that Emperor Constantine commissioned Eusebius to have made.